The name HMP Oakwood is derived from the “Royal Oak”. Legend has it that King Charles II climbed up an oak tree to escape the Roundheads following the Battle of Worcester in 1651.
The tree was located in nearby Boscobel Wood. The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations relates the 14th century proverb “great oaks, from little acorns grow”. This suggests that, great things may come from small beginnings.
At HMP Oakwood we aim to inspire, motivate and guide prisoners to become the best they can be. We offer state of the art facilities, full time employment, programmes and access to Physical Health and Wellbeing initiatives.
The prison which is managed privately by G4S becomes operational on the 24th April 2012. It is located next to the existing HMP Featherstone and HMP Brinsford near Wolverhampton. HMP Oakwood will be one of the largest prisons in England and Wales, providing places for up to 1,605 Category C male prisoners. The prison is expected to be at full capacity by autumn 2012.
HMP Oakwood’s Vision
- We aspire to be regarded as ‘The Leading Prison in the World’ within five years.
- The prison will be inclusive rather than exclusive, with everyone having a valuable part to play.
- Prisoners and staff will regard it as a ‘just’ or ‘fair’ place to work and live.
- Staff and prisoners will be encouraged and expected to strive together towards reaching each person’s full potential.
- The prison will be ‘restorative’ in the widest sense of the word. Prisoners and staff will be encouraged to repair individual or group harm as soon as possible and at the lowest level.
- Staff will contribute to reducing re-offending by acting pro-socially and modelling socially acceptable and desirable traits.
- Prisoners will be expected to work hard with a target of working as close to a 40 hour week as possible.
- Prisoners will be encouraged to take responsibility for their offence, sentence and resettlement, using resources and guidance provided by the prison where necessary.
- We believe that any conflict is capable of being resolved without the use of force if the right intervention is used at the right time.
- Oakwood will be a place of healthy rivalry and competition where winning and losing happens regularly and is an accepted part of life.